Saturday, December 8, 2012
Learning from a 6 year old
This week I had the sweetest experience in my classroom. I have a little girl in the room who is very talkative. She came running to me. "Mrs. Stanley!!, Mrs. Stanley!! ______ brought me a snack today!" "He did?", I asked. "Yes! He has been bringing me snacks a lot! See!!" and she proudly held up a bag of pretzels.
In our room, you're allowed a morning snack. Some bring one, some don't. This young lady rarely brings one. The child sitting next to her, noticed this, went home and asked to begin bringing her a snack. The child never bragged about it or even told that he was doing this. It was the girl receiving the snack and her excitement and enthusiasm that let us know. The kindness and empathy in this little boy is something for us all to learn from. The lesson of love and giving without being prideful is amazing.
I love my job. I love my students. I love the opportunity to teach them, and I also love the lessons they teach me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love this sweet story. Your students are blessed to have someone who loves each and every one of them, just as they are, someone who celebrates their successes, someone who notices their moments of kindness, someone who reaches out in their moments of sadness. Your students are blessed to have you as their teacher, I am blessed to have you as my daughter.
ReplyDelete