This summer I read another Katie W. Ray book called, About the Authors. I also have the Lucy Calkins and Abby Oxenhorn FirstHand Unit of Study for Primary Writing (WHICH I LOVE!) These books are a GREAT resource for anyone considering using a Writer's Workshop in your classroom.
So on the very first day of school this year I told my students that they were going to become Authors. Just like in the books we love to read, they would be becoming authors as well. And we began writing. We have Writer's Workshop everyday at the same time. Each day we begin with a mini-lesson (approx. 10 minutes). The children have a Writing Folder and a "toolbox" for the table with writing supplies. They have about 30 minutes writing time (we started with 15-20 in August), during this time Mrs. Young and I conference with the kids about their writing. Then, we re-join on the carpet and share. They sit in the Author's Chair, share their story, and the children ask questions of the Author.
Each day this is my favorite. I love hearing what the children write about. I love the serious attitude they have about their writing. I love that sometimes they tell me what they are going to write about before we even begin Writer's Workshop.
We have recently started publishing books. This is where we edit, revise, and make a more formal copy of the story.
If your child is in our room, ask them each day about Writer's Workshop. The kids love to share! :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Leave a Friendly note to say you were here! I love reading comments!